And one of these days I'll post reviews on the various methods of making them and if it's worth it compared to just buying them. If you find other sites that are interesting and should be added here let me know in the comments section below.
Now on to it...
Commercial floats to buy
- Lie Nielsen - They list both planemakers and joinery floats but they're all useful for plane making.
- Lee Valley - They sell the Iwasaka floats as well as the files that are actually floats.
- Philly Planes - They sell their own floats.
- Liogier - Seemingly nice floats for sale here.
Articles to help you make your own
- http://norsewoodsmith.com/content/pair-planemakers-floats One of the best articles on making floats.
- http://www.wkfinetools.com/tMaking/floats/floats1.asp Geat article on Wiktor's site for making your own.
- http://planemakersfloats.blogspot.com A fellow blogspot on making floats. If you haven't picked up the trend on coating the steel in blue to see what you're doing... Buy some Dykem layout fluid.
- 1992 article from American Woodworker on making floats. It has dimensions.
- Someone else trying to make floats, look at his other posts, they have a bit of info as well.
General info on floats
- http://craftsofnj.org/index.php/the-planemaker-float Someone's description of floats.
- http://www.planemaker.com/planemakers_floats.html these are the ones Lie Nielsen sells now. Useful to understand the different types.
- http://kapeldesigns.blogspot.com/2014/01/what-planemaker-floats-do-you-need-for.html Caleb describes a basic kit for getting started.
- http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/pmakersfloats.shtml Another useful description on how they started making their own floats. I learn quite a bit from other people's failures, though I do enjoy my own failings as well.
- A nice YouTube video from Larry Williams on sharpening floats. If you don't know, he's the Williams from Clark & Williams planes. I wish they were accepting new orders for planes, I'd love to own one. Better yet, I wish they had an apprenticeship program, I'd take a leave of absence from work and go inter for them in a heartbeat.
- While not about floats it's a massive thread that claims to be everything you ever wanted to know about making moulding planes. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?139219-Every-thing-that-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-molding-planes-but-were-afraid-to-ask!
Plane making classes